Sunday, June 1, 2014

Day 20 of Our RV Journey to Canada & Alaska - 6/01/14 Enjoying Camping next to Reflection Lake @ Toad River Lodge & RV Park (Mile 422)

I woke up early this morning (for me), 6:48 am, on this non-travel day.  It wasn't long and I was dressed and outside.  Bob had already spotted a moose way up on the mountain in front of us.  He had already gone for his early morning walk but said he didn't see anything.

We were going to cook breakfast outside this morning which we had all been wanting to do for quite some time.  It was a little cool & windy outside but the sun was brightly shining....it's going to be another beautiful day and we are just gonna "chill" and enjoy this gorgeous lake and mountain area today.

Bob & I walked to the camp store to pay for another night of camping and I bought some postcards to send to family.  After we returned to our camp site, we spotted a moose walking in the lake again.  It wasn't long and he walked into a little wooded area and was soon out of sight.  Later, he returned and walked in the water along the far side of the lake for quite a distance and then he got out of the water and walked over to a grassy area and later back into the woods.  It is amazing to me that they evidently love water, getting wet, and will walk a long distance in water.  Also, they are quite massive.




I gathered some items for breakfast and take out to the picnic table.  Bob and Ginger are the breakfast cooks today.  They fixed hash brown patties, bacon, eggs, biscuits and I (Janet) made some orange julius. Breakfast outside is always soooo tasty and the aroma of breakfast cooking outside is sure to make everyone in the campground hungry.



That's a breakfast of champs!!!


Real close to our camper is a aspen tree with a birdhouse attached.  It has the cutest little bird that must have a nest of eggs in it.  Not sure what kind of bird it is...I haven't gotten into the species of birds.


Also, to the left of our camper are two unmarked graves (mounds) that are protected.  The owner of the park, a young man, told that when the Alaska Highway was being built (around 1942) that soldiers came here and brought diseases and illnesses with them.  The Indians immune system was not use to some of the illness/disease that was going around.  The graves were of two Indians who died of smallpox. One is much smaller than the other, so we are thinking it is a grave of a child.  (That got me thinking of my dad.... he had a brother that died at a young age to what I think was smallpox.  My mom said that several children & adults died back then from smallpox & other diseases.)


Another very interesting wildlife here are beavers.  They have made themselves a beaver hut and a beaver dam  on this lake and are still very busy building.








You can see why beavers are considered "pests" by many; they ruin a lot of trees and foliage; I'm sure they can do a lot of harm to lakes too.  They are interesting to watch....they are definitely busy little beavers!!!



Reflection Lake is home to many different kinds of ducks.





There are some cute little cabins in the park we are at  that are facing the lake.


A private airplane strip is directly across the highway from the camp store.


Ginger fixed dinner tonight:  salmon cakes, fried potatoes, green beans & brownies.  Everything was great; Ginger is a good cook; never had anything I didn't care for that she cooked.   My turn to cook next so I better start figuring out my meal plan.



We are gonna have a campfire and do some moose-watching tonight for a while.  IF I get any good pics, or have a good story to tell I will post it on tomorrow's blog.

Have a Good Rest of the Day!!!  We are!!!

Msc03.56Cap/
Fd03.15Csh

jl

1 comment:

  1. Another great RV day in the record books!!

    As a member of the "Sleep-in" party, I would like to know what you were doing getting up at 6:48 !!!

    Great photos today, as usual .... take care .... TnT

    ReplyDelete