Thursday, May 29, 2014

Day 16 of Our RV Journey to Canada & Alaska - 5/28/14 Leave Jasper National Park and Travel to Dawson Creek



This morning we left Whistlers Campground at approx. 7:50 am.  We are leaving Jasper National Park and traveling to Grand Prairie (Alberta) Canada.  This destination was later changed to a couple hours more driving with the  "new" destination being Dawson Creek.

Along the route we saw lots of wildlife.  We saw:
Elk (8 at various places along the highway), a Big Bull Elk, and a huge herd of elk (too many to count)
10 Whitetail Deer
3 Mule Deer
2 Eagle
1 Coyote

Not too far into the trip, we saw a big bull elk along the  left side of  highway.  That was a pull-over/picture taking moment.  Bob got us safely pulled over off the highway and I get out of the truck, camera in hand with my ‘not-so-much" running shoes on.

I ran down the side of the highway and get to where I have a perfect shot.  He was massive and his antlers were fairly good size for this time of year and they were in velvet.  He is standing perfect for the picture wanted … I click the camera and nothing happens…my camera battery just died.  So, I run back to the truck, which is several hundred yards away, and change out  the batteries.  I start running back to where the big elk bull was at, and he is still there just munching away at the grass.  I snapped a few pics and then had to make some strange noises (aka elk calls) so he would look up at me so I could get a better pic.  Luckily for me, he wasn’t the least bit interested in me or the loud noises I was making.  I wasn’t up for a elk chasing after me!!!  That was definitely an adreniline rush.








Some sights along our route today:





a coal mining operation




see how bluegreen this water is....and how you can see the bottom






Today’s journey brought us into a new time zone (now Pacific Standard Time),  a new Canadian Province (British Columbia) and we left the  beautiful Canadian Rockies.



Our trip today was mostly rainy or drizzle, and SLOW!!!  We arrived at our destination at  a little after 2:00 pm Pacific time.  Some of the roads were not the best as the pictures show below.



logging trucks were pulling on to the highway in this area
causing the highway to be a muddy mess



Total miles traveled today:  333 miles  (Approx 180 miles of today's travel is scenic with not so great highways so we went 45-50 mph on that road., Highway 40 North.)  We arrived at Dawson Creek approx. 3:20 pm. ($40/night x 2 = $80.00 Cap)





We had dinner at our camper.  Ginger & I prepared the meal.






Jesse & Bob making travel plans after eating dinner.



Tomorrow we are going to see some sights here in Dawson Creek.  

Have a good one!!!

jl


  


























2 comments:

  1. I will have to get you to show us some of your elk calls!!

    Interesting scenery again.

    Sounds like you have your work cut out for you keeping an eye on Jesse and his mysterious bedroom slide that opens all by itself!!

    Safe travels ... TnT

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me laugh, thinking of you getting a nervous because your battery ran out.... haha. Dad was probably nagging at you, you left that part out..)
    The water is so pretty, along with everything else.

    ReplyDelete