Friday, June 13, 2014

Day 31 of our RV Journey to Canada & Alaska - 6/12/14 Fairbanks, Alaska

This morning Bob took his truck to have some maintenance work done.  They gave him a ride back to the RV park as they offer courtesy shuttle service.  Bob told me that on the way back to the RV, that probably a mile or so down the highway, they saw a moose.

Bob and I went for a walk in the park when he got back and then decided to walk to some places of interest that was within walking distance.

We went to the Alaska Raw Fur Co. and looked around.  They have many tanned hides and quilting material, etc.

After we looked around in that shop, we walked across the highway to The Great Alaskan Bowl Company.

 We got to see the process they go through making wood bowls that they turn in a lathe. The bowls seemed a little pricey for my liking.  Bob purchased a sharpener for my Ulu that I bought a few days ago.


After we left the bowl factory, we walked to Fred Meyers which is similar to our Super Walmart.  We looked around there for a while; buying a loaf of bread and a roll of tape, and ate their deli lunch.

We walked back to our RV and went inside for a while.  Bob got a phone call that our truck was finished and ready to be picked up and that the shuttle driver would be here soon to pick us up.  We went outside to watch for the shuttle car and Ginger & Jesse was outside getting ready to leave in their truck.  We talked to them until the shuttle car picked us up.  We went in and paid for the service on the truck and then we went to the Post Office to mail a package and some postcards.

We later made plans to all go to University of Alaska Museum of The North.  It had some good wildlife displays, art work, photography, and more.









Alaska became a State in 1959.


We had someone tell us to be sure to go to the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum.   It has on display  85 cars and horseless carriages from the late 19th and early 20th centuries; all being functional. There is also a large area enclosed with a window to observe museum employees work on the restoration of the cars.




















































































I was walking around taking pictures of the cars, and out the corner of my eye, I see Bob sitting in one of the restored cars.

I immediately snapped a picture and I quietly motioned that he better get out of the car and  I had that stern look on my face (that I meant it) ...all I could think of was that there are signs all over the place "Do Not Touch" and here Bob is, not only touching, but sitting in one of the cars. I figured we would be kicked out of the museum any time now.   He laughed and finally got out, and pointed to a sign on the other side of the car that said that the car was there for a photo opportunity.  There was even a shelf with some hats & clothes of the era to put on. So, we throw some hats on & some of the clothes, and Ginger took our picture. Aren't we cute!!!


There is also a collection of over 100 vintage outfits in the museum arranged to match the era of the vehicles that they are displayed with.  I didn't pay a lot of attention to the outfits as I was focused more on the cars.





After going through the auto museum, we all went back to the RV park.

Today, Bob & I are celebrating our 38th wedding anniversary so we decided to go out for dinner tonight. We read  area restaurant reviews online, and decided to try out Chena's Alaskan Grill which is just a short walk away.  Bob had Alaskan King Crab Cakes and a bowl of Alaskan Seafood Chowder which he said both were very good.  I had Herbed Chicken Fettuccine which was okay... but I wouldn't order again as I didn't think the chicken was freshly cooked...tasted like it had been cooked a day or so in advance & refrigerated. I ate enough of the fettuccine noodles, mushrooms & dried tomatoes that were in the dish and the bread they served, that I was stuffed.

That pretty well sums up our day today.  I still can't get over how you can go outside at 11:00 pm and later, and it is still daylight outside; like it is the middle of the day.  I don't think it gets dark here this time of year.
Every time I wake up during the night it looks like it is daytime outside.  I believe I read that June 22 is the longest day of the year here.

Have a good rest of the day!

Fd 2.00 Cap/
Misc 3.21 Cap/10.00 Cap/
Din Out 64.00 Cap/13.87 Cap/
Postage 9.20 Csh/
Truck Maint. $375.80 Cap/
Adm 38.00 Cap/2.00 Csh/

jl


4 comments:

  1. Hey Bob, Sorry about your truck. Should have bought a Ford! Jesse isn't having any problem, Right? LOL
    Love reading your blog. Janet, you are doing such a great job! I would have loved seeing that Car Museum. Hugs to all four of you. E & M

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we went to the car museum we also put on the vintage coats and hats. We thought it was kind of fun and Cindy even enjoyed the museum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog and have been enjoying reliving our trip to Alaska last year. It is really great that you are publishing every day. I know that takes work, but it really gives a much better snapshot of your trip. You will be so thankful you did it when you re-read it in the years to come. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary Bob and Janet!!

    Janet, we are nominating you for Sainthood, for putting up with Bob for 38 LONG years ... ha ha.

    I saw that photo of Bob sitting in the car, and I thought the same as you - Oh oh, Bob is gonna get in trouble!!

    You guys look so stinkin' cute in your outfits!!

    LOVE those old cars and bikes.

    Miss you ... TnT

    ReplyDelete