Friday, July 11, 2014

Day 60 of Our RV Journey to Canada & Alaska 7/11/14 - Guys Gone Fishing!!!....NOT!!!

I stayed up late last night (until 3:10 am) cooking, doing dishes and writing my blog, so I slept in.  I asked Bob to wake me if he was going fishing so I could say yes or no to going with him fishing.  Well, he said he woke me around 7:50,  and asked and I said "I'm tired, leave me alone."  I don't remember any of this conversation.

Anyway, the fishermen (Jesse & Bob), got back around 1:45 pm.  I already had the FoodSaver, bags, cutting board out on the bar so I could grab them when they got back with 'all their salmon' to clean and bag up.  Well, turns out that it started raining so they drove to Soldotna to look for some fishing spots.  They also went to Ace Hardware in Soldotna.  Bob said that they have a good store...lots of fishing stuff, too.  They went to a fishing spot they heard about in Soldotna, and lo & behold, were some friends we met at Toad River that we have been messaging back & forth ever since.  They had a good fishing day yesterday; but weren't so much today.  Found out fishing not so good today there, due to opening up netting to the commercial fishermen, and only the fish that get past them are getting in the river.  That person said that they may or may not do the same thing tomorrow.

The fishermen are getting very excited as the salmon run is almost upon us.  That is why we have been sticking around this area for so long.....for the next salmon run.  We don't have hardly any salmon in the freezer yet, but hope to have a lot more in the near future.  We have all the halibut we want, but that salmon sure is sounding good (on the grill).  Speaking of salmon, we haven't grilled any that Bob has caught yet...but gonna do so soon to see how it taste.  I love the fresh salmon I buy occasionally at Sams ... hope it is as tasty as that.  The ones Bob has caught don't look very meaty...but maybe they just weren't that big.  The fishing guide told Bob that he likes to grill them skin on ... just grill the whole fish (of course, cleaned & de-headed.  I've never grilled fish like that before, so I am anxious to see how that works out.  I think they do it that way, due to losing a lot of the meat if it was skinned first...(and again, it probably has something to do with the size of the salmon).

Today, our campground had a fish fry at 4:00 ... everyone donated fish to cook and everyone brings sides. We took part in it so we could see how they cook it, and of course, it's nice to get out and do something on this rainy, overcast cool day.  The fish was good as well as all the other food that I ate.

After we left the fish fry, we all loaded up in Jesse's truck to go for a ride.  We went to the fishing weir and to our surprise and the guy that is working at the weir, the fish was jumping.  He had already caught 300 in the weir today, and he had lots of them that was in the trap.  Thinking that is a good indicator the salmon run is ON!!!

We also drove to some other places and to some premium property for sale that overlooks the Cook Inlet...wow, what a view that would be from a front porch & living room window.

Bob filled truck up with diesel today (27.97 gallon = $125.00); think diesel in Ninilchik is $4.46/gal....it was $4.50/gal in Homer AK yesterday...so it is cheaper here.  Hate that fuel is sooo expensive...that is what makes traveling so costly.  (Sometime today diesel dropped price to $4.39/gal in Ninilchik after Bob filled up...can't win for losing!!)



Misc. 25.16 Cab/
Groc 10.20 Cab/

jl

3 comments:

  1. We have been following your blog since you left. Since we have been to Alaska three times, it makes it all the more interesting for us to see where you have been and where your going. I think you slowed down "to smell the roses" better than we did. I got a case of home sickness after about a month and a half in Alaska. Knew about 2 weeks to get home to N.H., so we headed out.
    My question to you is yesterday you folks got stuck in the mud looking at some property and the red truck pulling you out appeared to have some sort of cover around a 5th wheel hitch? Do you know anything about one of those?
    I can't seem to send a message to Kram-A-Lot-Inn so hoping you can tell me.
    Enjoying following you. Safe travels.
    Judy
    email at mcgintyjudy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is actually Jesse's truck that was being pulled out by the jeep.. I don't know what your seeing in photo as it does not have any sort of cover on the fifth wheel hitch.

      Delete
  2. Awwwww, Janet is just so sweet not to mention how that mean ol' Jesse got her stuck in bear country!!
    Good thing it wasn't Bob's turn to write the blog....poor Jesse would have been grilled real good... Ha ha
    Hugs guys...TnT

    ReplyDelete