Sunday, July 20, 2014

Day 68 of Our RV Journey to Canada & Alaska 7/19/14 - Travel Day...Heading to Valdez, Alaska

This morning it is raining (not hard, but constant).  I got up early because I wanted to post my blog for yesterday since today we are traveling.  I got it done...my hotspot kicked in a little faster speed late last night so I was able to get the day before yesterday's blog posted and almost had yesterday's posted as well but it ran out of energy.  Bob got up and started the generator this morning so my laptop would have time to get powered up.

Today is travel day for us.  We left Seward at approx. 10:00 a.m.  Plans are to drive maybe 5 hours or so and find a place to pull over and boondock.  Then, get up in the morning and drive the rest of the way to Valdez.

The only picture I took along the drive.
Mendeltna Glacier



It was around 3:30 when we found a place to boondock next to a small rest stop.  We got set up, turned on the generator, and I warmed up a pan of lasagna that I had thawed, made garlic bread to go with it, and called it dinner for the four of us.  

After dinner, I washed the back window of the camper so we could see out as it was glazed over with road dirt.  Then Bob & I watched a DVD called "Into the Wild" about a guy fresh out of college up and left his family after graduation by himself without them knowing where he was, and headed west and eventually to his destination of Alaska.  He didn't have any money (as he donated all the money he had in savings - $24,000).  He did have to stop along the way several times and work to survive.  He lived in California for quite awhile and at places such as Slab City, Salton City, went down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon and into Mexico....which was interesting because we have been to those places as full-time RV'rs.

Today Total Miles Traveled:  280 miles

FYI Diesel prices 7/19/14 :  $4.59/gal in Seward, AK
                                           $4.09/gal in Anchorage, AK
                                           $4.29/gal in Palmer, AK

Fd $14.98  Cab/

jl

No comments:

Post a Comment