Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Day 77 of Our RV Journey to Canada & Alaska 7/28/14 - Last Day in Stewart, BC & Hyder, AK

This is our last day in Stewart, BC and Hyder, AK.  Bob got up early this morning and went to the observation boardwalk at Fish Creek in Hyder, AK.  It was raining hard but that didn’t stop him.  He got there at 5:48 and waited until 5:58 for the boardwalk to open.  The Ranger told him to look at the lagoon area because a grizzly had crossed the far parking lot and could be approaching  or at the lagoon.  Bob stopped to take a look at the lagoon area and there was no sight of one.  At around 8:00 a.m. a wolf came out of the wooded, brushy area down the stream quite away on past the end area if the boardwalk.  Bob watched the wolf try to catch fish (with no success) as the wolf walked upstream and downstream (back & forth) until he was out of sight at about 9:00 a.m.





After I got up and ready to do something, Bob & I went to Stewart and Hyder to  go to  the store & take a few pictures of the buildings, etc. in the quaint little villages.  I really enjoyed Hyder’s surroundings.














I suggested we go to the boardwalk to see if there was any action there.  When I paid to get in, the Ranger told me that down at the far end of the boardwalk there was a grizzly and a wolf that the people were watching.  By the time I got to the end, the grizzly and wolf were no longer in sight.  Bob & I stood around watching for a while to see if they would come back out, but they didn’t.  That would have been a neat sight. 

As we were going back to Hyder, I caught glimpse of a wolf walking down a stream on the other side of the trees & bushes along the highway.  I snapped several pics. 





We took a few more pics of buildings, and stopped and shared a sandwich and fries at a cute little Bistro in Stewart.   We hadn’t even gotten our food yet, and Jesse & Ginger pull up and come in and order some lunch.  We visited, ate, and left when their order was being served.




There are some other unique eateries in Hyder.





There was a grocery store in the area so we picked up a couple of items we wanted.

After we got back to the RV, I went through all the pictures we had taken so far today, deleted some, cropped some, etc.  I am the cook tonight so I started preparing a pan of goulash when it was time to cook.  I fixed garlic bread to go with it and called it a meal.  I’ve been hungry for goulash ever since my daughters were talking about fixing goulash lately.

I had planned to go to the boardwalk after dinner with Bob but since we are leaving out tomorrow I figured I best stay home and get the dishes done, some more laundry done, a shower and the blog started.  Bob got to the boardwalk at 6:30 pm and told me the grizzly was downstream when he got there.  The grizzly worked his way upstream trying to catch is dinner, splashing, lunging and finally caught one with his mouth that he had chased up against the bankof the stream.  After catching the chum salmon,  he managed to skin the fish, ate the skin and probably spent 1/2 hour or so eating the rest of the fish.  After that, the grizzly walked up towards the bridge, walking underneath and soon was out of sight.  Bob came home with pictures of the grizzly bear and was able to get a picture of the grizzly with a salmon in his mouth after catching it…..that made Bob's day complete; seeing a wolf up close and a grizzly with a fish in it’s mouth.

grizzly adorned in moss







Just another day in Alaska!!!


Have a great day!


Fd $21.37 Cap/
Groc $ 5.50 Csh/
Adm $10.00 Csh/


jl

1 comment:

  1. Bob sure is lucky to see the wolf in the morning, and grizzly in the evening!!

    Mind you I guess if he was willing to wake up early in pouring rain, that he earned it!!

    Have you published your future travels, I don't remember??

    Safe travels...TnT

    ReplyDelete